Peak District Mines Historical Society
Promoting and preserving mining heritage
(Registered charity No. 504662)

Catalogue of the Ring Binder ‘Millclose Mine Papers’.

1.

‘Secondary Enrichment by Natural Flotation in Mill Close and other Derbyshire Mines’by W.W. Varvill
From ‘Mine and Quarry Engineering’ February 1962, March 1962, April 1962, May 1962

2. Copy Print of Diagram showing Engine at Mill Close Mine - From Sheffield Archives Ref. MD 3707(27).
3. Copies from Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map 2nd series (1899) for areas around Mill Close Mine
4.

‘Lead Mining in Derbyshire with Special Reference to the Mill Close Mine’by L.C. Stuckey
From ‘The Mining Magazine’ Vol. 16 No. 1 pp. 193-201 – 1917

5.

‘Mill Close Mine – Notice to Employees’
Photocopy of 1919 leaflet.

6.

‘Derbyshire Miners’ Association – Strike at Mill Close Mine’
Photocopy of 1919 leaflet.

7.

Photocopy of the Glossop Report on Mill Close Mine, dated 1923

8. Photocopy of the Report of the Eleventh Ordinary General Meeting of The Mill Close Mines, Limited.
6 August 1930
9. Photocopy of a letter from C.L. Waterhouse, Secretary, The Mill Close Mines Ltd., to Geo. H. Key of Oak Hill, Cromford, Matlock. – 1932
10. Photocopy and Transcript of a letter from Geo. H. Key of Oak Hill, Cromford, Matlock to Samuel Shooter
11. Photocopy of a circular letter to the shareholders of The Mill Close Mine Ltd. 20 January 1933.
12. Photocopy of a circular letter to the shareholders of The Mill Close Mines Limited regarding ‘Capital Reduction. 11 May 1933.
13.

Photocopy of Profit and Loss Account for The Mill Close Mines Limited, year ending 31 March 1933.
Photocopy of a newspaper cutting from ‘The Financial Times’ regarding annual results of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 30 June 1933.

14.

Photocopy of Notice of the 14th Annual Meeting of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 21 June 1933.
Photocopy of the Report of the Directors of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 29 June 1933.

15. Photocopy of a newspaper cutting from ‘The Financial Times’ regarding annual results of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 2 July 1934.
16. Photocopy of Notice of the 16th Annual Meeting of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 5 July 1935.
17. Photocopy of the Report of the Directors of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 5 July 1935.
18. Photocopy of an authorisation issued to R. French to take charge of explosives and fire shots at Mill Close Mine. Issued by Leslie B. Williams. 19 December 1937.
19. Photocopy of Notice of the 18th Annual Meeting of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 9 July 1937.
20. Photocopy of the Report of the Directors of The Mill Close Mines Ltd. 9 July 1937.
21. Offprint of ‘Mill Close Mine, Derbyshire 1720 – 1780’ by Arthur Raistrick. Published in Proceedings of the University of Durham Philosophical Society, Vol. 10 Part 1 pp. 38-47. 1938.
22. Folder of sketches and notes relating to the exploration of Mill Close Mine and Sough, probably by Buckley and Sheen. August 1955.
23. Sketch map taken from a tracing loaned by N. Kirkham of the Old Mill Close Mine Level. Signed by F.H.J. Sheen, 1955.
24. Transcript of note on the pumping engines (Jumbo, Alice and Baby) at Mill Close Mine made by A. Richards, Chief Engineer
25. Magazine cutting (probably from an in-house magazine of Firth-Brown ??) carrying an article on Mill Close Mine. 1972.
26. Printed handbill giving details of operations at the Darley Dale Plant of H.J. Enthoven and Sons. February 1991.
27. Offprint ‘The Mill Close Mine’ probably from ‘The Derbyshire Countryside’. c. 1983.
28. Photocopy of Pocket Note Book owned by H. Gladwin, Main Street, Winster. Entitled ‘Readings for Pumps’. Inscribed ‘This is a record of the Pumps at Mill Close Mine at the time it was closed – P.J. Naylor 15 October 1983.
29. Printed handbill giving the history of the Mill Close mines by H.J. Enthoven and Sons. c. 1989.
30. Copy of the text (only) of the book ‘Millclose – The Mine that Drowned’ by Lynn Willies, Keith Gregory and Harry Parker. 1989.
31. Printed note, together with map, detailing a brief history of Mill Close Mine.
32. Newspaper cutting with article and photo reporting an explosion at Mill Close in 1927.